MAN HAS MADE HIS OWN COMMANDMENTS
1) I have made the self supreme and thou shalt have no other god.
2) Thou shalt deck thy self with flash clothes and protect thyself with lucky charrns.
3) Thou shalt not doubt the scientists when they tell thee thou art conditioned by thy glands nor contradict their dogmas.
4) Remernber that thou go easy in the evil necessity of work. Five day's rnay'st thou labour with every possible rest for tea. On the sixth day, or the seventh thou rnay'st do overtime at double rates for this is the law of the unions. On the seventh day thou canst please thyself about bed or spoil and read the Sunday newspapers.
5) Honour thy school, thy clinic or youth club but not thy home. Treat as a right all the privileges which the welfare state provides for thee at someone else's expense.
6) Thou shalt he quite rude if thou dost wish to stab another to the heart with unkind words.
7) Thou shalt commit adultery, if so inclined, for it is fashionable.
8) Thou shalt make money on the pools or in other way whatsoever, provided thou art not found out. And if thou hast any left. thou shalt not leave it to the church.
9) Thou shalt not hesitate to tell lies and thou shalt not bear witness for or against anything
10) Thou shalt covet thy neighbour's house if it is better than thine or the taxes are less. Thou shalt covet thy neighbour's wife and also his daughter if she is pretty. Thou shalt covet thy neighbour's poodle, washing rnachine, television set and car and everything that is his.
Dr Sinclair Snow - Sermon, St John's Church Bognor Regis England (AP July 20 1953)
Back To Archive Contents